The rest of my Universe

Saturday, January 8, 2011

A true test of Will

Nothing is worth it, if there is no effort put forth.  Well, I'm glad I attempted this trinket with a full day available. I had to step away many times, that might be the only thing that indeed saved my sanity for what was to be a small, easy project.


When I was much younger (in the 1970's) I would watch my mother for hours working on beautiful plant holders.  These would be very detailed from ceiling to floor, glass, rings, beads, fluff.  I remember we had one in the upstairs living room in Alliance Nebraska that would have sold for hundreds of dollars because not only was it beautiful and functional, but, even to me, it appeared as art. True art. My mother had magic fingers, and I thought she was amazing in making these beautiful creations.


Also, for years (and I mean years) there were these beautiful owls hanging on our cheap wood paneling, then to the white painted walls, always depending on where we lived.  I know these were popular at the time, but hers, well, being handmade, and so large, always reminded me of how much I looked up the time and creativity my mother would share with me.


Starting out this project, I did it all wrong.  I used true jute twine, I should have used string/yarn.  I might do another one, count it also as a trinket yet, make it a lot more adorable and have it a bit easier to work with.


My tools?


A hunk of wood (with nails)
two sticks
two buttons
needle and thread
and of course, the twine.


Might I offer for your viewing pleasure, what looks like a first grader completed, please say it does look like an owl because well, that's what it is supposed to be (laughing)..

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! He's kind of a "special" owl hehe Bless his little heart, but he's still hanging on my wall, and there he will stay for now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Moo, he is adorable...he really must have taken lots of love and lots of knots and patience. My mother used to do macrame in the seventies too. We had a table that hung from the ceiling for the longest time. I love his fuzzy little claws. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, I think I needed a little reassurance that he indeed looks like an owl *laughing*. I am embracing today's lesson and how it induced the practice of patience. He brought back a lot of memories as well, so, not only a challenge, a test of patience, but a trip down memory lane. A true recognition of myself. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I FREAKING LOVE MACRAME OWLS!! Talk about the symbol of a generation... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Beth..truly a blast from the past isn't it? I'm planning on doing sometime a little different but the same idea. Wish me luck! I'm glad you like it! :D

    ReplyDelete